Sunday, May 11, 2014

I Remember

I remember my first crush. It was in kindergarten and he had red hair. I remember my second grade crush. I thought I was in love with him and that we were going to get married. I remember the day he said that my hair looked weird and then he threw play-dough at my face. I remember my first boyfriend. That lasted for a day. Relationships aren't meant for first graders. Well that's what I told myself when he broke my heart.

I remember recess. Playing tag and thinking I was so cool because I was hanging out with the popular boys. I remember my best friend. I remember the day I fell and had to get stitches. She was right by my side the whole time. I remember the day we had to go to a new school and she moved. It was so hard to make friends with out her. I remember we would try to see each other as often as possible. I remember when we started to grow apart. I remember the day we stopped talking. I still regret not texting her back, but I'm scared to text her now because it might be awkward.

I remember trying to fit in when I was in middle school. I remember ninth grade and the hell I went through everyday because of the rude things everyone would say to me. They thought it was ok and wasn't hurting me at all. It was. I remember valentines day when I got that note in my locker. You could tell it was written by a girl who wrote it with her left hand pretending to be a guy.  I remember the hurtful things it said. Telling me to stop talking so much and to actually wear makeup. I remember the day I started to wear makeup and stopped talking.

I remember starting high school terrified of everyone because I thought they were all secretly making fun of me. I remember hating everyone. I remember actually caring what everyone thought of me. I remember being miserable. I remember the day I became friends with that one person. They reached out to me. They changed my life forever. I remember realizing that there were people who cared about me.  That was the day I was finally happy again.

3 comments:

  1. 1. That freaking letter. Sickening.

    2. You should text your old friend. Embrace the awkward.

    3. Very good post. Honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you on the old friend awkward situation. Let's just take a #risk :)
    also Nelson was right this is so honest and it makes it so much more emotional to read. I'll kill whoever was mean to your sweet smile. Also. don't hate everyyyyonnneeee. There are some nice people :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...that's what I told myself when he broke my heart."

    Love this line but hate that we have to do this when our hearts get broken.

    ReplyDelete